Saturday, February 6, 2010

Finally moving the scales again

Wow...cannot believe it is already February, 2010! Sorry I have been away for so long. My first 30 pounds flew off with little effort (no exercise) and I have been frustrated to be stuck since Thanksgiving until this past week.

Several factors have contributed to the unmovable scales..
*My age (53)
*Band not tight enough (have had 3 fills since Thanksgiving)
*Lack of will power-Christmas, baking, company, Thanksgiving, too many parties, in other words eating too much (need I say more)
*Not exercising at all
*Not writing down my calorie consumption each day to insure that I consume less than I burn

Since my last fill on January 19 (2.5 weeks), I have lost 5 pounds. YAY! When I had the surgery, the doctor said I should expect 1 to 2 lbs a week weight loss and I am within that zone (23 weeks since surgery and 40 lbs lost=1.73 lbs lost a week). I just get worried when I see others have lost much more than me.

So, I have finally started exercising...SHOCKING I know. The secret was getting an exercise buddy. I walk with my good friend every Tuesday and Thursday and with another friend every Monday and will start weight training with another friend this Wednesday. We have all pledged to commit to this and that accountability has made all the difference.

During my last fill, they added .5cc rather than the .25 cc because I was having so much break through hunger and not losing weight for 6 weeks. It was too much because I could not swallow the water at all after I sat up. So they removed .25 cc and I think I may finally be almost there. Have had tons of "stuck" issues and PB's and am learning what I can and cannot eat now. Will have the flouroscope in a few weeks to see if I am at the sweet spot yet and to make sure all is well.

Things that have really helped me recently...

*I write down everything I consume down to the last calorie and make sure it is 200 calories less than the calories I burn at rest

*Sugar free strawberry jello...I make 2 6 oz packages at a time and put one less cup of water in so the flavor is more intense

*Sugar free hot chocolate mixed with coffee and sugar free flavored creamer

*Walking at least 3 to 4 times a week for 45 minutes

So, my hope is that I will reach my goal of 140 lbs by Valentine's Day 2011. Already I feel so much better and so happy. I can walk without pain and have energy I have not had in so many years. God is good and thank God for the lap band!! Good luck to you all!

2 comments:

  1. You are on your way! I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for the lap band! Amen!

    You are doing great, don't worry. 40 pounds is awesome. Great strategies you have now too!

    ReplyDelete