Thursday, August 13, 2009

4days before surgery...lots of lessons learned and aha moments this week

So I am on day 4 of the liquid diet and losing weight according to my little scale. That's thrilling!It has not been nearly as hard as I thought it would be and I now have confidence that I will be fine and can handle the 2 week liquid diet and gradually progress to pureed then soft then normal. I have to say that this is the first time in the 22 years that I have been overweight that I finally have hope that I can return to a healthy weight and resume the active lifestyle that I have missed for so long. I was always a normal weight until age 30. Then I gained 80lbs (in a year) when my thyroid stopped functioning during the post-partum period of my second child. A few years later, 3 years of using steroids to control asthma and a fungal sinus infection brought on the next 40 lbs and I have never been able to lose it until now. I feel so grateful to have the lap band option and I feel so good about realizing that I really can do this. My family and friends are so amazingly supportive and I am truly grateful. I did have a challenge today at work when I had to go to lunch with some donors and all the soups were chunky. I asked if they could puree it and the did. Success!

A question for all you lap banders out there. Is there such a thing as getting too much protein (via the protein shakes)? If so can it harm you?
Until next time, good luck out there everyone...

3 comments:

  1. That liquid diet wasn't so bad :) I think everyone fears it but usually finds out that it's not nearly as bad as we thought! The countdown is on!!

    I'll let someone smarter take on that protein question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope is such a wonderful thing! I have never read that you can get to much protein. I would have to google it. Could make you poop more? lol...I dont know! Glad it is going so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! You are in great hands! Speedy recovery!!!!!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete