Monday, September 7, 2009

3 weeks post op and my birthday...

Well it has been 3 weeks since my surgery and I'm not where I hoped I would be dang it. My weight is still dropping although at a slower pace now that I am off liquids. After my doctor visit I was so excited and energized that I worked Wed-Fri at least half days and felt so stimulated physically and mentally. That all ended on Saturday unfortunately.

I spent Saturday afternoon through Sunday night basically immobile due to stomach, back, abdomen pain. When I visited my doctor last Tuesday they basically said you can eat what you want. I was very careful...ate small salads with soft veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives), tuna salad and other semi-soft food. Then on Friday we went out to dinner at our favorite sushi restaurant (I Love Sushi by Winco) and I ate miso soup, salad and 3 pieces of a shrimp tempura roll. Felt ok afterwards so on Sat am I had 1/2 a piece of toast (crusts cut off) in the morning and worked in the kitchen for 3 hours roasting tomatoes from our garden and making salsa. Guess I over did it and it was downhill from there. Had to go back on liquids on Sunday and resorted to taking pain medicine last night. Got rid of the pain but had to get in bed and turn off the lights to keep from being sick from the medicine (pain meds do not agree with me). I am hoping that the problem was a simple stomach irritation due to new foods and physically over doing it and nothing else. I am so fearful of band slippage or something worse so it was a rough weekend. Had my first big cry yesterday from being frustrated and couldn't even cry very well for fear of hurting my stomach :((

Today is a new day and my 53 birthday. I feel better today...not in as much pain but really wrung out...no energy and definitely down in the dumps. I am waiting for that energy surge that I read about on blogs. I had it for a few days so I was unprepared for the big let down and misery of this weekend. My husband reminds me that it has only been 3 weeks since surgery afterall and there are bound to ups and downs. I am praying that it was the rice and bread and over activity that started this otherwise I am clueless.

Anyone else have this experience?
Is it an up and down kind of thing until you figure out what foods agree with you and which ones don't?

I did not have any of the stuck feelings...just generalized bad abdomen and referred back pain. Fortunately I have not thrown up yet or had an urge to eat bad stuff or over eat (I'm too scared to do that). Comments and opinions welcome. Hoping for a better week! Take care all.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Sorry brain still not working....) I will be at the Medford support group maybe I will see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am coming up to 3 weeks banded and I have no energy levels too. As soon as I came off liquids and started my mushie stage I felt things start to go down hill. I haven't lost any weight at all in the mushies stage.

    I have tried to eat good proteins (eggs, tuna etc but I keep PB'ing on them..) I have been eating lots of mashed potato and some mince but need something better to keep the energy levels up...I need suggestions too. I have heard that this is normal so soon after banding going so long on liquids and then all of a sudden going to food can throws things around.

    Keep at it, it will get better

    ReplyDelete